Home > Jailbreak & Unlock > iPhone Blank Screen redsn0w Waiting for Reboot

iPhone Blank Screen redsn0w Waiting for Reboot

by Alvin on August 3, 2009

When you’re jailbreaking your iPhone using redsn0w, if your iPhone screen is dead (blank or black screen) and the redsn0w is showing waiting for reboot, you need to put your iPhone back to normal mode (not DFU or recovery mode) and rejailbreak it again.

Put iPhone to normal mode – You should disconnect the iPhone from your computer first, and then hold both sleep or wake and home buttons together for few seconds and release both buttons when you see Apple logo on the iPhone screen. Once reboot done, you will see the familiar slide to unlock screen or slide for emergency calls screen on your iPhone.

Rejailbreak Apple iPhone – You should rejailbreak your iPhone again from the first step. Now, close the redsn0w if it’s still running on your computer and launch the redsn0w to jailbreak your iPhone.

Hope this will help you to solve your iPhone blank screen issue and you can always leave a comment or drop me a message here if you need any help.

{ 31 comments… read them below or add one }

Mark August 4, 2009 at 10:50 am

Hi Alvin,

This didn’t work for me. I tried again and got stuck at the same spot. Any ideas?

Alvin August 4, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Hi Mark,

The key is the timing of putting your iPhone into DFU mode.

Please check if you are using the latest version redsn0w that is version 0.8 and the correct iPhone firmware for your iPhone. And,

If you are jailbreaking your iPhone on firmware 3.0.1, you need to locate iPhone firmware 3.0 when redsn0w is asking you to.

Hope it helps…

Regards,
Alvin

juliancfh66 August 4, 2009 at 7:02 pm

alvin the problem with mine si the same, but look, my redsnow is o.8 but this does nto asme to put in dfu mode just that disconnect from pc then off the iphone then with hold home bottom conect to redsnow and thats it, but doesnt work, it stuck in reboot part, i wonder where can i get the redsnow that put the dfu steps on it, im so concerd i just buy my iphone yesterday. but i used to jailbreak iphones, thx

Alvin August 4, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Hi juliancfh66,

You can get all the tools and iPhone firmwares you are going to use here. After you have prepared the redsn0w and the iPhone firmware, follow this guide to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS (I will assume you are using iPhone 3GS).

Please note that your iPhone must be power off and connected to your computer when you are using the redsn0w. If not, connect your iPhone to the computer first and power it off.

Regards,
Alvin

juliancfh66 August 4, 2009 at 11:49 pm

hi men thx, actually i have 3.0.1 im going to try to get in the 3.0, as soon as finish or something i let u know here, i hope everything works, thx again

juliancfh66 August 5, 2009 at 2:17 am

thx men for the tools and the gui everything is going on great on my 3g thx men !!

CloudsFactory September 10, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Hi Alvin, My problem is when i try to jailbreak my iphone 3gs 3.0.1 using (iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw) after itune icon a black screen appear and freezing but the redsn0w show me that he is done !!
my iphone is officially unlocked is that change something and thank you

Alvin September 10, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Hi CloudsFactory,

You’ll need to reboot your iPhone by holding both home and sleep/wake buttons. Release them when Apple logo appears on the screen.

CloudsFactory September 10, 2009 at 10:23 pm

i am sorry for that but still nothing happened, the weird thing is my current version is 3.1 and not 3.0.1 any idea please help

Alvin September 11, 2009 at 1:00 am

You’ll need to wait for the redsn0w latest release from iPhone Dev team to jailbreak your iPhone 3.1. See this post.

Hayley September 11, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Hi Alvin,

Trying to (re)unlock my iPhone 2G using redsn0w. It went crazy after I connected it to the iMac at work to charge it up which I usually do – was not running 3.0 before that, but tried to restore and updated software (before iTunes says my sim is not supported) so I presume it’s now running 3.0??

I’m pretty sure I have the correct firmware (1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw), and the BootLoader files (BL-39.bin and BL-46.bin)

Everything works fine in redsn0w – ipsw is good, bin files are good. I get stuck at the “Waiting to reboot” part. Have re-tried DFU mode many times, also tried the unplug/replug trick to no avail.

HELP!!

Alvin September 11, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Hi Hayley,

May I know the iTunes version you’re using on your Mac? Have you updated iTunes to the latest version?

CloudsFactory September 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Hi Alvin,

Is there any way to rollback or downgrade to 3.0.1 ?
mine is 3.1 original (not beta)

Alvin September 12, 2009 at 3:21 am

Hi CloudsFactory,

I’ve tried to update my iPhone 3GS to firmware 3.1 and then tried to restore back to firmware 3.0.1. iTunes prompt me an error message.

I guess you’ll need to wait for iPhone Dev team to release their latest redsn0w for now.

CloudsFactory September 12, 2009 at 4:54 am

Hmmmmm, Anyway … thank you Alvin now you make everything clear and I am grateful for your help thanks again =)

Alvin September 13, 2009 at 12:59 am

You can check their blog for the update as I believe that they’re going to release the latest redsn0w soon.

Laura September 14, 2009 at 12:40 am

Hi Alvin,

I’m really frustrated trying to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS 3.0.0 with redsn0w… just downloaded iTunes 9 (as you suggested to Hayley), but I’m still getting stuck on the “waiting to reboot” screen. Tried unplugging and replugging the phone real quick, did not work.

Any help would be very appreciated!!
Laura

Alvin September 14, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Hi Laura,

You can try to jailbreak your iPhone using different PC.

Anand February 19, 2010 at 9:04 am

Hi Alvin,

I’m using redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak my 3gs on 3.1.3. I get this screen everytime. Any tips?

JAck May 9, 2010 at 4:19 am

Hi everyone,

I got the same black screen after it finished with red snow 0.9.4. It didn’t reboot or anything. I did something with the usb I forgot but it was with a software called libusb32 and the iphone 3gs(blocked sim to itunes after 3.1.3 update) was in the recovery mode (connect to usb to itunes image not the DFU blank screen). After the software did something with usb it locked the phone in the recovery mode so whenever i rebooted it will show the recovery mode image of usb cable and itunes. I couldn’t do anything else with so i ran redsnow again then all of a sudden it worked with the jailbreak showing the hard drive on screen and everything. Now itunes eventually forced upated my iphone and now its locked on the emergency screen. I’ve been trying to replicate what i did but no avail. Can someone please explain to what I did to make it work cuz I had no clue what I was doing and the difference between DFU and recovery for 3gs and which red snow 0.9.4 prefers.

sadanset August 26, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Hi,
Finally managed to get through: After many “Waiting for reboot” I tried putting my iPhone 3G (downgraded frem 4.0.1 to 3.1.3) into DFU mode before cliking next on the redsn0w 0.9.4 form ending with “Click next ONLY when your device is BOTH off and plugged in.”
Then it worked like a charm.

Brilliant December 15, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Thanks a mill..I tried to restore again got error 16something and then downloaded redsnow0.9.6b5 cuz i had to downgrade to 4.0 on 4.2…and worked…*cheezing* i was 3hours bout to give up tryna find or figure out what to do:-)

Tommy December 21, 2010 at 1:21 am

Alvin,
Ive been trying for days, it doesnt seem to want to reboot
ive got a 8gb 2g ipod touch Mc model

Milan March 28, 2011 at 9:22 am

Hi Alvin,

I have similar problem. – This doesn’t work for me.
I’m using redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak 3.1.3 that is in “Emergency Calls Only” mood. It keeps sending “Waiting for reboot” message.

Do you have some idea maybe? Thank you!

FRANCIS April 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm

i need assistant about my iphone it appear blank screen can you assist about that.

David August 4, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Same here, black screen after redsn0w, hard restore does not work.
Itunes give me errors 160X. I use Ireb, tineumbrilla, 1click.. and others, always blacks sreen.
please help

Mike October 16, 2011 at 3:42 am

Worked, thanks!

babar January 3, 2012 at 8:15 pm

hi: my i phone 4 has a problem, on its screen shown only apple logo, nothing works, not shown redsnow on it, how i can download its sofware

craig November 7, 2012 at 6:40 pm

hi i have an iphone 3gs and i jailbroke it with redsn0w 4.3.3 and im getting the apple logo then its disappearing then im getting a black screen but the phone is still on it just wont full reboot cant u help me

iphone 4gs 16gb unlocked apple iphone 4g 8gb price in pakistan iphone 5 iphone 4s price iphone 5 release apple iphone November 27, 2012 at 2:25 am

It’s really a nice and useful piece of info. I’m happy that
you simply shared this useful information with us. Please keep
us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

jordan June 16, 2013 at 1:55 am

when you bring the jail break up go to extras press restore your i phone should boot up happen to mr