On my previous post, I’d promised you that I’ll write the iPhone 3.1.2 jailbreaking guide using blackra1n rc3, which was released only yesterday. Late last night, I was trying to rejailbreak my iPhones with blackra1n rc3 and it had worked flawlessly on my iPhone 2G and 3GS. (I couldn’t try blackra1n rc3 on my iPhone 3G as my wife is using it.) And now, I’m so excited to show the steps on how you can also jailbreak your iPhone using blackra1n.
- This guide is for all iPhones including, iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS.
- Can I unlock my iPhone in this guide? No, this guide is only showing the blackra1n rc3 iPhone jailbreak. Please refer to my upcoming post if you wish to unlock your iPhone.
- I’m not a legitimate user, can I use this guide? Yes, your iPhone will be activated and jailbroken as blackra1n rc3 now supports iPhone hacktivation.
- Will this work on the Mac PC? Yes, the steps can also be applied on the Mac PC and make sure you’re downloading the correct version of blackra1n rc3 for your PC OS at blackra1n.com.
- Does it work on my jailbroken iPhone? Yes, this guide works on previously jailbroken iPhone using pwnagetool or redsn0w.
- Will I lost all my iPhone data? Yes, make sure you’ve synced your iPhone through iTunes before you’re proceed. For jailbroken iPhone, follow this step-by-step guide to backup your iPhone data manually.
Once you’re clear, let’s get started.
1. Download blackra1n rc3 and iPhone firmware 3.1.2 here and save to a new folder on your desktop. Name the folder as “blackra1n”.
Note: Make sure you’re downloading the firmware for your iPhone model.
2. Make sure iTunes installed is the latest version. Follow this step-by-step guide to update your iTunes if it’s not already.
3. Restore or update your iPhone to firmware 3.1.2 through iTunes. Please use the shift restore method instead of click “Restore” button on iTunes.
Note: iTunes will not activate your iPhone if you’re not using the official sim card, you can close your iTunes. Or, if you’re using official sim card, let iTunes to activate your iPhone.
4. Make sure your iPhone is connected and run the blackra1n you’ve downloaded.
5. Click “make it ra1n” to start the jailbreak and your iPhone will go to recovery mode with GeoHotz’s image.
6. Click “Ok” when the following message pops up and your iPhone will be rebooted.
7. Once the reboot is done, your iPhone will be activated (non-official sim card) and jailbroken.
8. Launch blackra1n on your iPhone, select Cydia or Rock App installer and tap “Install” to start download and install.
Note: Make sure you’ve connected your iPhone to Wi-Fi and autolock is set to “Never”.
9. Launch blackra1n again after iPhone respring, tap “Uninstall blackra1n” to delete or remove blackra1n from your iPhone and this step is optional.